Family Tree Group Class
Celebrate the joy of music making with your family! Be introduced to a world of music with a special focus on social songs, language development, music & movement, traditional songs, and pretend play. Moms, dads, grandparents & caregivers can bring little ones age five and under. New themes each week!
0 - 5 years
Saturday mornings at 11:00 AM except for the 3rd Saturday of each month as we are at the Midtown Global Market (see below). Half-hour class.
Family drop-in fee: $10 - NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED!
Class punch cards available!
Rockin’ Robins Group Class
Created for preschoolers ages 3-5, we make music, move to the beat, sing, dance and play instruments together! In this 45 minute class, we help your preschooler learn listening & motor skills, rhythms and sing-along songs in a fun atmosphere with new friends! Caregivers stay for the entire class to make music as a community.
Every 3rd Saturday of each month from 11-11:45am (45-minute class)
Midtown Global Market, 920 East Lake St, Minneapolis 55407
Cost is FREE! Tips are greatly appreciated.
GarageBand For Kids! Workshop
Learn how to create & record your own music while having fun doing it!
8 and up
Six Thursdays from 6-7 PM, Feb 16 through Mar 23
$180 for Blue Tree members; $195 for non-members
• Each student must bring their own iPad to use
• Headphones or earbuds
YOU WILL GET:
• An MP3 of your own original song
• Basics needed for Garageband for Kids Workshop II
Songwriting For Adults Workshop
The most important part of songwriting is novelty - not merely for the sake of novelty - but rather to create something honest, intentional and something of your own.
Of course, it's easy to rely on the talents of past artists and cobble something together from bits and pieces of songs you already know. But real songwriting is not that easy. It involves persistence, risk, and the ability to listen critically and carefully.
We begin by learning how to analyze songs structurally, musically, and lyrically, and then utilize these skills to purge our own ideas of cliché and really write something! Along the way we develop techniques for overcoming writing blocks and pushing boundaries.
This workshop will culminate in you, the burgeoning songwriter, having truly written something of your own that you will perform at a final concert at Blue Tree Music Education.
Session 1: Four Sundays in January
Session 2: Four Sundays in February
Two Hour Sessions From 2-4 PM
$185 for Blue Tree Members
$195 for Non-Members
Slots are limited so sign up today!
Harmony and Musicianship Foundations Workshop
With Blue Tree instructor Richard Tuttobene
Learn basic music skills or brush up on skills you already have!
$215 for 6 weeks
Who will benefit? Everyone!
• Beginners with no musical knowledge looking for a ‘from-the-ground-up’ approach to understanding the building blocks of music.
• Parents who want a demystified understanding of the musical challenges their kids face.
• Professional musicians seeking to review the basics, fill in gaps, and further develop musicianship skills.
• Composers/Music Creators who want to clarify their thinking about their own compositions.
• High school students who want to ace the Advanced Placement Music Theory Test.
• College students majoring in music who want to test out of Freshman and Sophomore Harmony and Musicianship classes.
• Music lovers who want to enhance their appreciation
Students will learn to:
• Read, play, and sight-sing in multiple clefs.
• Notate what they hear.
• Identify scales, intervals, chords, and progressions.
• Identify chord function.
• Realize figured bass
• Perform a formal harmonic and structural analysis in SATB
• Write First, Second, and Fourth Species Counterpoint
• Compose melodies and accompanying progressions using good voice-leading.
• Apply the knowledge and skills learned to gain a deep understanding of music from the 1600s to contemporary jazz, concert music, hip hop, and pop music.